[neomutt-devel] setting up a mail account

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 11:34:09 CET 2019

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:20:11AM +0000, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On Dec 10 2019, 01:43 UTC, Joao Gouveia <jdggouveia at gmail.com> wrote:
> [-- Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.4K --]
> > Hey guys,
> > I am trying to get started with neomutt and I cannot get in contact with my
> > yahoo account.
> > I have linux mint and installed neomutt form the software manager. Next a
> > created muttrc file in .config/mutt and the following code:
> >
> > set folder = "imaps://<username>@yahoo.com at imap.mail.yahoo.com:993"
> > set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
> >
> > Then when I launch neomutt, I get a failed login
>
> You should get at least a password prompt, don't you? Please run with the
> parameters -d2. A log file will be created under ~/.neomuttdebug0.  Look for
> lines mentioning "source_rc" and double check that NeoMutt is loading the
> correct config files.
>
> You can also increase the debug log with -d5 and inspect the log file for
> errors. I don't have an account at yahoo, but I see it's trying to
> authenticate correctly using the PLAIN mechanism. It shoul be fine.

You may need to go to the browser and account settings page to allow
neomutt access- I can never remember how to do this and IIRC it can be
hard to find.  This just worked ( there are also password lines etc
but these are the ones just that ref yahoo - also imap_pass and smtp_pass AFAICT  ),

cat ~/.neomutt/neomuttrc_yahoo  | grep yahoo

set imap_user="xxx at yahoo.com"
set folder="imaps://imap.mail.yahoo.com:993"
set from="xxx at yahoo.com"
set smtp_url="smtps://xxx@yahoo.com@smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465/"

--

mike marchywka