[neomutt-devel] account-hook craziness

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Sep 22 14:02:54 CEST 2018

I'm still working on 'account' support.  It's slow-going.
Pictures and progress, here:
    https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/issues/1326

I recently discovered that using IMAP folders and the `mailboxes`
command causes the `account-hook` to be called.  You can sort of
understand the logic, but it makes the code so much more complicated.

Anyway... Debugging, I found that the `account-hook` was being called
quite a lot.  For my 40 folders, it was called ~1600 times just getting
to the index.  Hmm... very n-squared.

Testing it on a mailbox with 1000 folders confirmed it.
The `account-hook` was called 1,000,000 times.
Upstream Mutt was even worse -- SIX million times!

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap