[neomutt-devel] neomuttrc: ignore_linear_white_space: unknown variable

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Thu Mar 15 21:39:09 CET 2018

Hi Jan,

> I ... am therefore reporting here instead of in your issue tracker.

That's fine.  Thanks for the report.

> Neomutt removed support for the "ignore_linear_white_space" .muttrc
> variable in the commit:

Yes, it's no longer used in NeoMutt.

> I have not checked what happened to the functionality

We made some improvements to the way NeoMutt handled subjects with
multiple encoded sections.  If the sender gave us whitespace, then we
honour it.

> but since ignore_linear_white_space is a valid option in the original
> Mutt, the removal breaks .muttrc compatibility and is therefore
> probably unintentional.

We took a bit of a gamble that very few people would have heard of the
option, let alone set it.  You win :-)

I've put back the variable -- it's non-functional -- for the sake of
config compatibility.  There'll be a new release in about a week.

In the future (not soon), we will issue deprecation warnings for
obsolete options such as this and eventually retire them.

> (Also, https://www.neomutt.org/man/neomuttrc still lists the variable.)

Fixed.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap