[neomutt-devel] Neomutt crashes unless multiple instances are opened simultaneously

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Thu Aug 16 12:21:26 CEST 2018

Hi Maxwell,

Sorry NeoMutt's crashing.
Thanks for the bug report, but we'll need much more info.

> I am running i3-gaps-doubleborder on Parabola Linux.

OK, an Arch derivative, so I guess you build your own NeoMutt
We have seem some issues under i3wm, but nobody's been able to
successfully debug them.

> This issue only occurs with neomutt. Running Neomutt 20180716

What's the output of `neomutt -v`?
Did you build NeoMutt yourself?

What was the last version of NeoMutt that you used successfully?
Does Mutt (1.10.1) run correctly?
Does NeoMutt run correctly under a different window manager?

Are you technical?  Could you run 'git bisect' on the code to find which
commit started causing the problems?

> When I run neomutt it crashes instantly.

How instantly?
Does the screen blank (and leave the terminal messed up)?
Do you see any output at all?

Do you have a 'coredump' file?
This would allow you to get a backtrace to see exactly what NeoMutt was
doing when it crashed.

The location of this will depend on your OS.

> I did not change any configs.

OK, good.

> If I open multiple instances at once then they don't crash.
> If I have two instances and I close one, the other crashes.

I have absolutely no idea what could cause _that_ behaviour

> Fullscreen also crashes neomutt.
> Resizing the windows can cause crashes if one takes up too much space.

Sounds like a bad interaction with i3, but again I don't know how.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap