[neomutt-devel] New Project: Mutt manual/manpage documentation

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Tue Jul 4 12:46:10 CEST 2017

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

> * Move the manual from Docbook/XML to Markdown

That's a great start.

On the website, I refer to the main docs as the "NeoMutt Guide".
It helped to distinguish between it and the manual pages.

> generated a one-shot approach that rendered the manual from XML to Markdown

What command(s) did you use to generate the markdown?
What post-processing was needed?

> ... play catch-up as/when things are added to the documentation.

Which [neomutt] commit are your docs branched from?
You could add a tag to [neomutt] to keep track.

> * Cleave the embedded documentation out of the code and into a standalone
>   section (again; just another Markdown section)

This is where the Mutt docs really fail the reader.

There are a few vague introductions at the beginning of the guide, but
most of the options (that the users need) are listed in the
encyclopaedic index.

For all the feature docs, I made sure they were self-contained.

> * Start splitting out the manual from one huge .md file into sections.

I think the obvious starting points are the "sources" of email:

* imap
* pop
* maildir

Cut'n'paste all the options into relevant chapters.
The sidebar would be another good candidate -- simple, self-contained.

Try to reduce the dictionary of options to just an index.

As for the features... It *was* important in the beginning to
distinguish them as selling points for NeoMutt.  Now, they can be folded
into other sections as appropriate.

> The generated result of these markdown files will be .html for the
> manual, and a .man file for the relevant man pages.

We need to identify all the routes that documentation might take.
Once your docs become the *definitive* source (and I'd like that to be
soon)...

* What other formats are needed?
  - How do we convert between them?
* Where are strings duplicated?
  - OPS files
  - Embedded help
* What can we do to keep things in sync?
  - Code won't be accepted without a corresponding doc commit?
  - Scripts to extract strings from the code?
  - Scripts to insert strings into the code?
* Automation
  - Changes to the docs repo should be immediately mirrored on the website

> * A list of ideas about what they want to see from the documentation;

Longer term, I'd like to see a "Pictorial Guide to Using NeoMutt".
As programs go, Mutt is very complicated.  I recently tried to draw the
relationships between all the GUI areas.

    This is not suitable for public viewing!
    https://flatcap.org/mutt/screens.jpg

One minor thing.  Would you like to add some "topics" to the repo
settings (and maybe an icon :-) https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt-docs

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap