[neomutt-devel] Deprecation Warning
rich at flatcap.org
Mon Jul 3 14:32:53 CEST 2017
This is advanced warning of the removal of some config variables.
This has been discussed, on GitHub:
The duplicate variables:
* Haven't been documented for years
* Are confusing
* Don't add any value to NeoMutt
* Add complexity to the code
The plan, with some approximate durations, is:
# Stage 1 - Informing (1 month)
The Changes Guide lists all the differences between Mutt and NeoMutt:
* Write a short guide to fixing your config files (with scripts)
These will be installed with NeoMutt
* Create a "New to NeoMutt?" guide
Link to it from everywhere possible.
* Blanket coverage of all forums alerting users to the change
# Stage 2 - Warning (2 month)
NeoMutt will work as usual.
This might happen in one of two ways:
* Verbosely - warn the user about every old variable name in their config
Urge them to read the guide to fixing their config
Wait for a keypress
* Quietly - After startup, display a error message urging the user to
read the guide.
No keypress required, so it won't interrupt the user.
# Stage 3 - Removal
NeoMutt will not accept the old config.
NeoMutt may, for a while, recognise the old options and tell the user to
read the upgrade guide.
Rich / FlatCap
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 854 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the neomutt-devel