[neomutt-devel] About C flavour (Was: Refactoring's cosmetics 💄)

guyzmo z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net
Thu Jan 26 13:26:37 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:32:31AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2017/01/26 12:12, Guyzmo wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 09:26:33AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> I'm thinking more of something like a powerpc mac or a sparc64 running a
> BSD, which aren't really all that exotic or uncommon.

Let's be honest, PowerPC macs are a thing of the past, as the switch has
been done a decade ago! And if you're running a BSD on it, or on Sparc64,
there's no reason why you couldn't pull GCC from ports to have a compiler
with latest features, so you can compile your favourite MUA.

So, that's true it's inconvenient, but it won't make it impossible to
run it on.

> If it were a C++ program I'd see clear advantages in C++11. If it were
> threaded then TLS in C11 might be useful. You might know better but
> I'm not really seeing anything in C11 that would be a big enough
> advantage for neomutt to make it worth requiring a C11 compiler.

I'm not saying we absolutely *shall* enforce C11, but I wouldn't want to
refuse to use a feature that would benefit neomutt because we've made an
executive decision to stick with C99.

Also, worth be noted that as long as vanilla mutt keeps going, it will
keep up with the same portability you aim for.

--
Guyzmo