[neomutt-devel] #224

Guyzmo z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net
Mon Feb 13 01:55:07 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 04:38:47PM -0800, David Champion wrote:
> * On 12 Feb 2017, David Champion wrote:
> > > I'm not against contributing to mutt directly, and would actually be
> > > honoured to, if the features I'm actually interested in (mainly:
> > > notmuch, but other troll-bait features like composing mime/alternative
> > > mails) can be considered by the "established" community.
> We would love to have your help.

brilliant 👍

> > > That being said, and after having dug a bit in (neo)mutt's sources, I do
> > > believe that some modernisation of the codebase is really needed
> > > (homogeneous coding style and indentation, no more globals, no more huge
> > > functions…), the most important thing being introducing regression tests
> > > and CI. And I'd be happy to discuss these topics in length and write
> > > patches for that.
> We want these things too.

ok then we can talk! 😀

> We're just a little more measured about implementing them.  Here's the
> thing - it depends on having more dev time to get it done.  More
> developers = more developer time, and it's been pretty much just Kevin
> for quite a while - years!  Action happens where there are people
> participating.  We really want people to participate.

Well, that's great to say so!

> I had no idea until a week ago that there were like six of you gathered
> here doing good work, under another label.

Well, there might be some sort of alignment of stars, but there was a
feature I wanted to implement in mutt+notmuch, and when I took the time
to do it, then more and more people got involved… It's almost like mutt
is being trendy again ☺

Or, as much as I'm not found of centralized systems, maybe having the
project setup on Github helps in getting more visibility, attracting
more people and makes it is easier for new people to report and submit
patches.

I'm sorry to say but, Mercurial is the Betamax of DVCS and Trac is so
much 2010 😉

Cheers

--
Guyzmo