[neomutt-devel] mutt vs neomutt

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Fri Feb 10 08:37:04 CET 2017

* David Champion <dgc at bikeshed.us> [2017-02-10 07:28]:
> 1) what does a new community bring that the established one does not

probably just the same.  but for a better program. :-)

> 2) is it advantageous to create a new community rather than
> making any effort whateoever to introduce those advantages (I
> don't doubt that there are some) to the established community?

incentive.

> Please understand that this seems very ad hoc and
> arbitrary from our point of view, given that not one
> of you in the forking community ever addressed the
> specific concerns that you say forking brings you.

adhoc? arbitrary? please!  remember mutt-ng?

> The only thing it got you prior to your decision to fork was
> that you could apply a patch we asked to hold off on.

holding off.. exactly.  been there, done that, got the tshirt.

> *Three email messages from you to us.*  Since then,
> neomutt has been its own thing.  We'd love to have
> your enthusiasm in our community, but you've
> rejected that, where we have rejected only a patch
> -- a patch whose time, we agreed, would come.

meanwhile.. we work on neomutt.  problem?

> I don't question the capability, enthusiasm, or value of
> you or your contributors.  Only the motive and goals of
> this group.  I think they go beyond what is stated.

we are tired of waiting.  yet again.

so there will be mutt *and* neomutt.
let the user decide which to install.
maybe both.  all good.