[neomutt-devel] #224

David Champion dgc at bikeshed.us
Fri Feb 10 00:38:05 CET 2017

> I've spent a year reaching out to people, bringing them together,
> encouraging them to contribute.  I've successfully built a
> community. When Mutt can offer that, then there'll be no need for
> NeoMutt.

You certainly have --- as others have done since 1999.  My questions
are:

1) what does a new community bring that the established one does not
2) is it advantageous to create a new community rather than making any
effort whateoever to introduce those advantages (I don't doubt that
there are some) to the established community?

Please understand that this seems very ad hoc and arbitrary from our
point of view, given that not one of you in the forking community ever
addressed the specific concerns that you say forking brings you.  The
only thing it got you prior to your decision to fork was that you could
apply a patch we asked to hold off on.

*Three email messages from you to us.*  Since then, neomutt has been
its own thing.  We'd love to have your enthusiasm in our community, but
you've rejected that, where we have rejected only a patch -- a patch
whose time, we agreed, would come.

I don't question the capability, enthusiasm, or value of you or your
contributors.  Only motive.

David Champion • dgc at bikeshed.us