[neomutt-devel] PATCHES considered harmful

David Champion dgc at bikeshed.us
Sat Apr 29 19:34:53 CEST 2017

* On 28 Apr 2017, Richard Russon wrote:
> But then it struck me.  Why does the PATCHES file exist?
> It's very presence *encourages* people to fork mutt!

And we can't have that!

> I think we should remove the file completely.

It was added originally to assist with support and debugging.  People
*do* add patches.  What we've learned over time is that people create
patches that cannot be merged for whatever reason.  I know your aims
are to merge all the things, but that won't happen, especially with
packagers for distros.

When such people call for support, it's useful to see in their debug
reports what patches have been applied.

It's totally reasonable to compress the display in some way, but
removing it will make support more challenging.

David Champion • dgc at bikeshed.us