[neomutt-devel] What is NeoMutt (long)

Fabian Groffen grobian at gentoo.org
Sun Sep 18 09:39:11 CEST 2016

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your elaborated answers, some comments inline.

On 18-09-2016 01:57:02 +0100, Richard Russon wrote:
> For Mutt-1.7, we have a single [neomutt] branch.
> This has reduced my workload and my stress levels.
> However, now we can't easily offer patches to upstream Mutt.
>
> # But are we a fork?
>
> Still no.  Even with ~25 patches, the code is still compatible with
> Mutt.  I can still easily merge their fixes into our code.  We'd be
> stupid to turn our backs on their fixes.

In my opinion, ever since NeoMutt discarded the patches (and hence the
way to easily tell/show upstream what's a feature) and started to
identify itself (and read config files named after itself) as NeoMutt,
it became a fork.
Nothing wrong with it per-se, but it changes the way to look at the
project considerably IMO, e.g. like at distro level, 2 different
packages.

> # Do we want to fork?
>
> Yes, of course.

Just for the record, I disagree here.