[neomutt-devel] Enter PGP passphrase

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Fri Dec 9 18:52:19 CET 2016

* Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie at lxtec.de> [2016-12-09 15:42]:
> * Sven Guckes <neomutt-lists at guckes.net> [2016-12-09 08:42 +0100]:
> > so the message to you is encrypted.  and when you do
> > read the message then you'll get the usual prompt:
> >
> >     Enter PGP passphrase:
> >
> > but.. for *which* key? (argh)
> I am running gpgme and have
> set in $HOME/.gnupg/gpg.conf:
> default-key DEF09876
>
> If you use classic gpg signing with no gpgme set
> set pgp_sign_as="0x1234567890ABCDEF09876"
> in your sourced muttrc.gpg.

well - that works for the default key ONLY.

now, when you have *more* than just one key
and neomutt prompts your for "the passphrase"
then *which* of the keys is it asking for? ;)

my point:   the prompt should mention of key ID,
so the user knows which passphrase is requested.

does anyone hae a patch to display the
(long) keyID of the key in question?

then it should look something like this:

  "Enter the passphrase for this key: EAB97F200185391B"

even better (shorter lines) would be:

  "Enter the passphrase for this key:
   8000R/EAB97F200185391B 2014-03-11"

or maybe even with the full thing,
including bits+longID, creation date,
fingerprint and main user ID:

  "Passphrase requested for this key:

   8000R/EAB97F200185391B 2014-03-11
   32CE 5648 6E6D 6D6D 33E5
   3A38 EAB9 7F20 0185 391B
   Sven Guckes <keysigningparty at guckes.net>

   Enter the passphrase now to unlock the
   secret key for decryption of message."

the last sentence is for the beginners
to tell them explicitly that the passphrase
is used for the unlocking of the secret key
which is required to decrypt the message.

but i'd be happy to know *which* key is used.

Sven