[neomutt-users] computed/evaluated search

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Sat Nov 3 18:01:28 CET 2018

On 2018-11-01 22:47, Nicolas Paris wrote:

> > Is there a way to use some external program to generate a searching or
> > limiting pattern?  Hypothetically, I want something like this:
> >
> > <limit> =i `get_mairix_results $my_query` <enter>
> >

> Not sure that's exactly what you ask for, but I've recently written this
> ticket http://natus.1s.fr/blog/mutt-notmuch/

Hi nicolas, thanks for joining me.  I quote your macro invention below,
so that others can see it without reaching for the browser.

  macro index L "<enter-command>unset wait_key<enter><shell-escape>\
  read -p 'notmuch query: ' x; echo \$x >~/.cache/mutt_terms<enter>\
  <limit>~i \"\`notmuch search --output=messages\
  \$(cat ~/.cache/mutt_terms) |\
  head -n 600 |\
  perl -le '@a=<>;chomp at a;s/\^id:// \
  for at a;s/\\+/\\\\+/g for at a;s/=/\\\\=/g \
  for at a;$,=\"|\";print at a'\`\"<enter>"
  "show only messages matching a notmuch pattern"

It is far from obvious to me how this works :-P  I guess the main
obstacle to understanding it is that it seems to rely on the following
syntax already working:

  ~i "`some_command`"

Note I have not backslashed anything, because I am not thinking about a
macro now - I mean the behavior of the command parser at runtime.  Is
this really supposed to work?  If so, that solves my problem - all I
need is a way to specify a "dynamic" pattern, everything else (in
particular your perl logic) can be hidden inside some_command.

> I don't know about mairix, but I finally using "mu" in place of notmuch

I think the particular indexing/searching program is not relevant, I
only mentioned notmuch because of neomutt's new integration with it,
which I was afraid someone would recommend.  Assuming, of course, that
the indexer can output message-ids OR be wrapped such that the wrapper
outputs message-ids, and that seems to be true for all of them.

> nicolas

Ian