[neomutt-users] set up maildir -> set mbox_type=maildir

Teno Deuter gvgter at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:51:33 CEST 2018

when running:

 $ neomutt -n -F /dev/null -f /var/mail/{user}/Inbox

I get an error because no mailbox exists. This command is launching
neomutt in the users home directory (/home/{user}) and that error
makes sense indeed. There is no mailbox defined in the user's home
directory!

When applying the following values in the user's local neomuttrc (as
you suggested):

set folder="/var/mail/{user}"
set mbox_type=Maildir
set spoolfile=+Inbox
set record=+Sent
set postponed=+Drafts
set trash=+Trash
set editor="/usr/local/bin/nano"
set charset="utf-8"
set attach_charset="utf-8"
set send_charset="utf-8"
unmailboxes *
mailboxes Inbox Sent Drafts Trash Spam

everything works well.

please note the last line from my configuration:

mailboxes Inbox Sent Drafts Trash Spam

when stating:

mailboxes =Inbox                    # expands to "/var/mail/{user}/Inbox"
 mailboxes =Sent
 mailboxes =Drafts
 mailboxes =Trash
 mailboxes =Spam

I get an error complaining about the syntax of the neomuttrc file!

Once again A BIG THANK YOU for your swift and valuable help

Regards