[neomutt-users] cannot encrypt with gpg in neomutt

Guillaume Brogi gui-gui at netcourrier
Fri Jan 5 20:07:05 CET 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 08:06:03AM -0800, Mason Hock wrote:
> Hi, Pietro. Thanks for your response.
> > Are you using gpgme? set crypt_use_gpgme = yes.
> The only change after adding this file is that signing no longer words. When I attempt to send a signed message I get
>
> secret key `238FA70D' not found: End of file?
>
> I then tried taking a working gpgme configuration from here: https://gist.github.com/hjst/3f0f763f8dd8e722ae5e
>
> The last line, after changing the keyid to my own, gave me an error when starting neomutt
>
> Error in /home/mason/.mutt/gpg.rc, line 44: id=238FA70D: unknown command
>
> so I commented it out.
>
> Upon restarting neomutt, I still cannot send signed or encrypted messages. Is additional configuration for gpgme required?

For gpgme, you only need to use:
  set crypt_use_gpgme = yes
  set pgp_sign_as = <your-id>
  set crypt_autosign = yes

Additionally, if you want to encrypt email you send to others with your
key too, use:
  set pgp_self_encrypt = yes
  set pgp_self_encrypt_as = <your-id>

I also use the following to encrypt when possible, and check signatures
automatically:
  set crypt_verify_sig = yes
  set crypt_opportunistic_encrypt = yes

Try deleting every other encryption related options and see if that
works.

Cheers,

--
guiniol