[neomutt-users] cannot encrypt with gpg in neomutt

Mason Hock mason at masonhock.com
Thu Jan 4 10:02:48 CET 2018

Hi,

I am using neomutt from Guix on Trisquel 8 (Ubuntu 16.04). I have successfully imported my own public key, encrypted and decrypted a file, and sent myself a signed email with neomutt. I am now trying to send myself and encrpyted email.

When I attempt to send the email, I am prompted with

Enter keyID for mason at masonhock.com

Entering 238FA70D or 0x238FA70D does nothing but give me the same prompt.

Since I can encrpyt and decrpyt with my key outside of neomutt I don't think gpg is the problem, and since I can sign and verify my signature it seems that neomutt can find my public and private keys, so I'm not sure what is going wrong here.

My .neomuttrc contains the content of the default gpg.rc file at /gnu/store/vxnlbw9kiw8z6k6j6g2ynkp5hp5gkkb2-neomutt-20171208/share/doc/neomutt/samples/gpg.rc

followed by

set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes
set pgp_sign_as = 238FA70D
set pgp_timeout = 3600