[neomutt-users] S/MIME signature verification

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Sat Dec 8 22:36:14 CET 2018

On 2018-12-08 11:40, Duan Weining wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:16:31PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > Is it supposed to work?  It doesn't for me, ever.  I have compiled
> > neomutt for myself, and the configure option is enabled.
>
> I'm not an experienced user on Neomutt. I have Neomutt and GnuPG
> set up and they worked fine for me. My muttrc has the following options
> to enable gpg functions:
>
> `set crypt_use_gpgme = yes`
> `set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes`
>
> and some other trival settings to control the behavior.

My question is _only_ about SMIME.  GPG proper and GPG signatures work
fine for me.  I see that your message was SMIME signed so I assume SMIME
does work for you.

Do you have a ~/.gnupg/gpgsm.conf file?  Can you share it?

For GPG, if a key is not present in the local system it is automatically
fetched from a keyserver; that keyserver is specified in
~/.gnupg/gpg.conf .  Is there a similar mechanism for gpgsm?  If yes,
what keyserver is commonly used?

Also, when I verify a GPG signature, they key fingerprint is included in
the output that neomutt displays, and from the fingerprint I can derive
the key ID.  This way, when there is a problem with the signature, I can
try to download the key (with gpg --recv-keys) to narrow the problem
down.

But this doesn't seem to be true for SMIME.  The output includes some
long hex string but there is no apparent relation between that hex and
the key ID, as it is displayed by gpgsm --list-keys.  I see this
because _your_ signature now does verify correctly so I know the key
with your address in my keyring is the one you used to sign your message.

Thanks for your explanations.  You see, I have only ever used GPG, and I
have no idea about SMIME.