[neomutt-users] startup performance of neomutt on big folders

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Thu Aug 23 17:12:25 CEST 2018

i used to show how fast mutt starts up even on big folders.
but there were actually some things getting in the way:
the updates on the display which are controlled
by options like net_inc, read_inc, and time_inc.

so i created this minimal setup file to start up with:

$ cat increments_net_read_time
  set  net_inc=0
  set read_inc=10000
  set time_inc=2000

and this is the startup command:

$ time neomutt -n -F increments_net_read_time -f ~/Mail/BIGFOLDER

right after i issue this command i type 'x' which makes neomutt
exit right away - no updates to the folder whatsoever.

the "time" command of my shell then tells me that
neomutt has performed the opening of BIGFOLDER with
about 90.000 messages in just under 3seconds. :-)

i guess i will now have to create a way bigger folder
to measure a startup that longer than ten seconds..

how are your startup times on your machines
after adjusting the increment values?

Sven

--
neomutt maillist reminder: please *sign* your messages.
why?  because we can, right?!  :-)