[neomutt-users] Do you rename your binary to mutt? no!

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Mon Aug 6 01:54:31 CEST 2018

* Xu Wang <xuwang762 at gmail.com> [2018-08-06 00:51]:
> Dear neomutters, I have misc. scripts, Bash aliases, etc.
> I've just updated neomutt and see that binary name now
> "neomutt". I believe this was done to avoid conflict.
> Thank you for so nice to adapt. This however brings a
> question for me. Do I update all scripts etc. to use
> "neomutt" binary, or do I e.g. make alias in my bin
> directory for mutt to neomutt so that when I run
> "mutt" in reality it is "neomutt" that is run?

no. please don't. you should know which program's name to enter.
"mutt" starts mutt, and "neomutt" starts neomutt. feature.

> Both options are easy and not so much of work or time. I ask
> out of the curiosity and to learn advantages/disadvantages.
> What do you do?

call each program by its name.
that is like root intended it.
"oommm..."

as for sharing he configuration files, i do it this way:

  $ mkdir -p ~/.mutt ~/.neomutt

  ~/.neomutt/neomuttc:
  source ~/.mutt/muttrc

so when i start neomutt then it reads its config file
with a "source" command to read the muttrc first.
only then it will do the neomutt specific things.

ymmv.

Sven

--
NEOMUTT - a new version of mutt