[neomutt-users] A working neomutt notmuch example

Stefan Kropp stefan.kropp at vlug-hessen.de
Sun Nov 5 19:10:08 CET 2017

Am Sonntag, den 05.11.2017 um 11:36:41 +0100 schrieb juh:
> Hi all,

Hello juh,

I'm a new notmuch-user. Anyway, I will try to help you.
See my config below.

> yesterday and today I tried to setup  offlineimap, notmuch and mutt. I
> browsed the web for configuration hints, but I think I'll give it up.
>
> These parts are working:
>
> offlineimap downloads all my accounts, putting them into ~/Mail in
> Maildir format
>
> notmuch is installed and is working.
> With the emacs interface I can search for the messages
>
> So if I fail to use the combination notmuch+mutt I simply use this setup
> to backup my mails from time to time.
>

> I don't get neomutt working with notmuch.
>
> I tried a lot. I found configurations for the old mutt which kinda works
> with neomutt. Simple searches eg.
>
> At last I consulted the neomutt website when I realized that neomutt has
> a native interface to notmuch.
>
> https://www.neomutt.org/feature/notmuch
>
> But the neomuttrc under point 8 does not work.
>
> If I comment out offending parameters I get one huge virtual folder with
> a lot of emails. I don't think that this is the intended usecase.
>
> Can anyone share a working configuration for notmuch+neomutt?

I use neomutt with getmail / procmail. My mails are stored in ~/.maildir/
Mails will be stored in maildir-folders. By default .Archiv/<MM>-<YYYY>/
Mails from Mailinglists will be stored in .Mailinglist.<Name>/

# neomutt configuration

 set nm_default_uri = "notmuch:///home/<user>/.maildir"
 set virtual_spoolfile=yes

 virtual-mailboxes "My-INBOX" "notmuch://?query=tag:inbox"
 virtual-mailboxes "My-ToDo" "notmuch://?query=tag:todo"
 virtual-mailboxes "My-unread" "notmuch://?query=tag:unread"
 virtual-mailboxes "NeoMutt" "notmuch://?query=tag:NeoMutt"
 virtual-mailboxes "Familie" "notmuch://?query=tag:Familie"

# notmuch

It looks notmuch will tag all new mails with 'inbox'-tag.

I created a config file for tagging "~/.notmuch-tagging".

 -inbox +NeoMutt                   -- folder:.Mailingliste.NeoMutt-Devel
 -inbox +NeoMutt                   -- folder:.Mailingliste.NeoMutt-Users

All mails in Mailinglist-folders, the 'inbox'-tag will be removed. I wouldn't
like to have the mails in my inbox. For mails from 'NeoMutt'-mailinglist, I will
create a tag 'NeoMutt'.

Mails from family I will tag like this:

 +Familie           from:mama at domain.de
 +Familie           from:papa at domain.de

... lot of tagging rules ...

I use a script to get and tag the mails:

getmails;notmuch new; notmuch tag --batch --input=$HOME/.notmuch-tagging

I can use the virtual-mailboxes to switch between the tags.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stefan Kropp

Virtuellen Linux User Group Hessen                     http://www.vlug-hessen.de
GPG-Key:	       0x57D15D0E
Fingerabdruck:   F816 9815 37F6 B96C 5A9C 8289 C192 3057 57D1 5D0E
Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr??e  : 488 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verf?gbar