[neomutt-users] Vim-Lover Wanted

Guyzmo z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net
Sun Feb 26 13:18:36 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 09:49:00AM +0100, toogley at mailbox.org wrote:
> > On February 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM Richard Russon <rich at flatcap.org>
> > wrote: I'm looking for a Vim-lover to help update these files.
> > Technical assisstance will be available.
> I think that's the wrong way of solving that, because its not
> automated. Maybe we can refactor makedoc.c into a library and make
> both our function/variable reference and our vim syntax files with
> that?

no need to make it a library to generate all we need from that tool.

> Although i'd prefer a scripted solution for this,

yes, I agree it might be a good idea to make it a script. I've had a
quick look at the source of makedoc, and found out that it's not really
great.

For example in [line 344] there's a redefinition of the options_t types,
as an enum and then as a struct? So all the new types we've added are
actually non-documented.

[line 344]:https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/blob/master/doc/makedoc.c#L344

For efficiency, I could try rewriting makedoc.c in python, using the
pyparsing library (and some C source code introspection) to extract
needed information out of the source. If someone doesn't think it's a
good idea (@ghar?) I'll abstain, otherwise I can put that in my TODO
list.

Or another idea thing we could try (which I never tried) would be to
write all that information in doxygen syntax and use the documentation
data extracted by doxygen to generate all the XML/SGML/NROFF for the
manuals.

> i think editing makedoc.c is a realistic option to atomate this stuff.

yup, it's supposed to have most of the information already there, though
I believe it's lacking functions.h and globals.h declarations, so it's
not really complete enough to match all valid symbols.

--
Guyzmo