[neomutt-users] Tip: Edit current message in new window

Guillaume Brogi gui-gui at netcourrier.com
Thu Sep 15 21:02:31 CEST 2016

Difficulty: SIMPLE

A simple macro to postpone the current message and then open a new
terminal with mutt editing the postponed message.

Add this to your muttrc:
macro compose E 'qy<shell-escape>urxvt -e zsh -c "/usr/bin/mutt -F ~/.mutt/external-editor.muttrc -p" &<enter>' "Edit message in new window"

and create the .mutt/external-editor.muttrc with any additional config.
For example, here is mine:

source ~/.mutt/muttrc
set sidebar_visible = no

Because I don't want to see the sidebar in the new window.If you don't
need any additional config, just remove the
'-F ~/.mutt/external-editor.muttrc' part. Also, adjust 'urxvt' and 'zsh'
to your liking, and feel free to change the binding.
As soon as you send the message (or postpone it), mutt should exit and
the terminal too.

Be advised that two mutt instances will be running while you edit the
message. It should be safe, but I can't make any guarantees. Use at your
own risk.

Cheers,

--
guiniol