[neomutt-devel] Faster test builds

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Aug 4 15:39:59 CEST 2018

When developing and testing, I have to perform a LOT of builds.

My build scripts are here:
    https://github.com/neomutt/management/tree/master/build

I've just converted one of my scripts to use Gnu Parallel:
    build-parallel.sh

It performs several builds at once.
Each build is performed in a separate directory (out-of-tree) called `buildNUM`.
If a build fails, then you can examine, fix and restart the build in that directory

*Note*: If you use environment variable `$MAKEFLAGS`, remove any parallel
      build options, e.g. `-j4`, before using this script (or your load average
      will get rather large).

First create a list of configure options, `clist.txt`, that you'd like to test.
*Note*: The blank line at the begining is a build with zero configure options

```

--with-ui=slang
--disable-nls
--disable-idn
--disable-pgp
--disable-smime
--disable-nls --disable-idn --disable-pgp --disable-smime
--lua
--with-lock=flock
--locales-fix
--homespool
--with-domain=example.com
--notmuch
--gpgme
--mixmaster
--with-lock=flock --lua --locales-fix --homespool --with-domain=example.com --notmuch --gpgme --mixmaster
--tokyocabinet --qdbm --gdbm --bdb --lmdb --kyotocabinet
--gss
--ssl
--gnutls
--sasl
```

Then run parallel:

    parallel build-parallel.sh gcc {} :::: clist.txt

If you use clang, you will need to change some of the options in the
build script.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap