[neomutt-devel] Renaming Mutt to NeoMutt

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Thu Sep 14 01:08:14 CEST 2017

Hi Stuart,

> contrib/smime_keys needs an update for this

Yeah, I sort of skipped over the contrib.  I'll get to that shortly.

> Any thoughts on prefixing the name of ancillary binaries
> (smime_keys, pgpewrap, pgpring)

> it would be more consistent between OS if it was done in the neomutt build
> infrastructure

Yes, good point.  The common files are:

## Extra Binaries

These aren't really seen by the user, they're just
referenced by config.  As long as the default config is correct, the
user won't notice if we move them.

    /usr/bin/pgpewrap
    /usr/bin/pgpring
    /usr/bin/smime_keys

Some distros use /usr/lib some use /usr/libexec for this sort of thing.
I propose moving them to:

    /usr/lib/neomutt

## Man Pages for the Extra Binaries

    /usr/share/man/man1/pgpewrap.1
    /usr/share/man/man1/pgpring.1
    /usr/share/man/man1/smime_keys.1

Documentation for tools the user doesn't see.
I propose converting them to text and moving them to:

    /usr/share/doc/neomutt

## Misc Man Pages

    /usr/share/man/man5/mbox.5
    /usr/share/man/man5/mmdf.5

I'm not sure who these are for.  One distro gave them a "_package" suffix.
This would prevent clashes and still leaves them 'findable' as man pages.
I propose:

    /usr/share/man/man5/mbox_neomutt.5
    /usr/share/man/man5/mmdf_neomutt.5

> to allow both Mutt and NeoMutt to be installed together
> on a system without conflicts?

That would clear up all the name clashes.  If the distros wish to
install a "mutt -> neomutt" symlink, they can.  An alternative would be
to create a "neomutt-mutt" package that installs the symlink and blocks
the mutt package (thanks Thomas).

I'm open to suggestions on all this.
If there's nothing better, in a couple of days, I'll commit these changes.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap