[neomutt-devel] Compile Options and Compile Non-Options

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Sat Jul 8 16:13:44 CEST 2017

* Thomas Adam <thomas at xteddy.org> [2017-07-08 16:06]:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 03:28:28PM +0200, Sven Guckes wrote:
> > how much space does neomutt really need?
> > my current stripped binary has 848KB.
> > can i leave out "nntp"?  if so - how?
> > cant find "nntp" in the configure script.
>
> Why are you asking this question?  Indeed, looking at
> version.c:Compile_Options comp_opts[], it's clear that some of the options are
> hard-coded, which I'm implying are therefore a core part of mutt.

sure.. everything is clear to those who read and understand all of
the code.  but the point is that not everyone can and will do this.

the output of "mutt -v" as to the "Compile Options"
is quite misleading and definitely needs a cleanup.

> But the exercise here isn't to make the assumption that the compile
> options are either to be turned into things in the configure script.
> That would be wrong.

i didnt know that the effort here made was to give exercises to people.
if that were true then this certainly was a waste of time.

> If this needs a documentation change to
> make things easier; patches welcome.

well, creating patches requires understanding.
i seek some understanding.  can you give some?

i'd welcome some insight into this
rather than "work it out for yourself".

the goal is to make the version info
easier to understand for everyone.