[neomutt-devel] About C flavour (Was: Refactoring's cosmetics ?)

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Fri Jan 27 04:45:48 CET 2017

> is it ok to use the full support of C99 features, to make new code elegant?

Yes, that's fine for all new code.
I'm also open to someone retrofitting neomutt's existing code.
(but leaving mutt's code intact)

> C99, that means using:
>  - single line `//` comments,

They're not liked upstream, so I'd prefer to avoid them for now.

>  - stdbool/stdint,

C99's bool doesn't make much of a difference to the compiler, but it
makes things so much more pleasant for humans.
It's time to start defining types more strictly and start replacing all
the #define's with enums and constants.

> C11 features
> - anonymous struct/union

It's a shame we can't use these -- they're perfect for creating
inheritance in structs.

Rich