[neomutt-devel] from tabs to spaces

Guyzmo z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net
Wed Jan 25 22:22:09 CET 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:03:12PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
> * Bernard 'Guyzmo' Pratz <z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net> [2017-01-25 21:53]:
> > * Refactoring
> >  * [Spaces vs Tabs] killall TABs?
> >  * add comments to all return codes
>
> get rid of all the TABs as soon as possible.  seriously.
> remember: "a space is a space is a space is a space".
> it might break the connection with mutt there.
> but i definitely think it will benefit, too.

Actually I don't think it will. there are many ways to handle that, for
exmaple using gitattributes:

https://eev.ee/blog/2016/06/04/converting-a-git-repo-from-tabs-to-spaces/
https://noise.getoto.net/2016/06/05/converting-a-git-repo-from-tabs-to-spaces/

or simply making a commit. Also, we can make git default to ignore
whitespace changes when doing merges:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9776527/merging-without-whitespace-conflicts#9784089

or with rebase:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-rebase.html

```
--ignore-whitespace
--whitespace=<option>

    These flag are passed to the git apply program (see git-apply(1)) that applies the patch. Incompatible with the --interactive option.
```

Cheers,

--
Guyzmo