[neomutt-devel] NotMuch Task Force

Guyzmo z+mutt+neomutt at m0g.net
Sat Feb 25 17:24:57 CET 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 01:51:33PM +0000, Richard Russon wrote:
> NotMuch is brilliant, but I think it could better integrate into Mutt.
> If you were given a blank slate, how would you add Notmuch to Mutt?
> - What's good about the way it works?

the user experience: working with searches as v-folders changed my way
of using my MUA. I don't care how my mail really is stored, I make sure
it's well tagged and read it through searches.

> - What could be better?

The only issue is whenever I change the state of the mailbox with
another MUA (like my phone), I need to quit and open the mailbox again
because the mailbox can't be written to anymore (throwing an error at
the mail that has been changed).

But when I read a mail with my phone, I either avoid marking them as
read (or moving them) from there, or I re-sync before reading in mutt,
and it's all fine.

The occasional DB lockup can be frustrating, but it's not a big issue.
Now the only issue is that the message is annoying, but actions are
being handled.

> - What needs implementing?
> All ideas are welcome.

What would be great would be to follow up on the discussion with David,
and the suggestion I made there: make a common API to handle all tags,
labels, filters and vfolders. That with all the flexibility to handle
every situation.

Then ideally, I'd like to see notmuch removed from the main code to
become a scripted extension (along with a bunch of other features),
taking advantage of a general keywords/labels framework. But that would
come after another thorough design discussion on how to expose internal
APIs in Lua.

--
Guyzmo