[neomutt-devel] NotMuch Task Force

Edward Betts edward at 4angle.com
Sat Feb 25 15:11:59 CET 2017

I've not tried notmuch with neomutt, in the past I used mutt-kz.

When a new mail arrives I had procmail set to run 'notmuch insert'. If I was
reading my mail with mutt-kz then both would keep trying to grab the write
lock at the same time.

I tag a mail in mutt-kz and it writes the new tag to the database, at the
same time a new mail is coming in. Either 'notmuch insert' has the lock and
my mail client pauses while it retries or 'notmuch insert' isn't able to get
the write lock and just saves the mail to the maildir and it doesn't get
added until I later run 'notmuch new'.

I think the notmuch Emacs client is partly avoiding this problem because
there is a separate thread in the background to grab the write lock and save
tag changes.

Does neomutt have the same problem? How should we fix this, does it mean
adding threads to neomutt and using a separate thread to update the notmuch
database?

I've written about this problem on the notmuch mailing list.

https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2016/022047.html

My previous suggestion was to reimplement notmuch with real time search and
multiple search indexes. This is a radical change to how notmuch works,
there wasn't much interest.
--
Edward.