[neomutt-devel] mutt vs neomutt

toogley at mailbox.org toogley at mailbox.org
Fri Feb 10 20:31:04 CET 2017

Hey David,

> On February 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM David Champion <dgc at bikeshed.us> wrote:
> [...]
> To paraphrase: Neomutt is a fork.  There's no way to think otherwise,
> as I read more of your material and look at events.  I think there's
> acknowledgement of that from within, even embracing.  The activity
> within the group is characteristic of a project that fully intends to
> supplant its predecessor.  I just ask that you own it.

> The only way
> Neomutt is "not a fork" is if you have or anticipate a proposal for
> merge-back.  I'd be curious what it is.

Exactly this is what i meant with '"abeyance" phase' in my last comment
in #224. We haven't decided that yet. We haven't decided how much we want
to divorce from mutt, we haven't decided how much we want to merge back to
mutt.

@ kevin

> Forking is a hostile act, and the faux-outrage combined with the denial
"we aren't a fork" to justify it are disgusting.

Does it have to be? why can't we exist in a friendly manner together
without hating each other?
And again, if we are sure to fork, we label everything as such. But for
now, we haven't found a consens to that.