[neomutt-devel] Distro Directories

ng0 contact.ng0 at cryptolab.net
Fri Apr 28 18:34:52 CEST 2017

Richard Russon transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> Every distro has its own little tweaks that it applies to NeoMutt.
> Early on, I tried to merge all of their patches to reduce this burden,
> but there's still lots left.
>
> How do people feel about a /debian directory in the root of the project?
> Or /guix?  A place for their patches and config.
>
> Should they be branches, instead?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Rich / FlatCap

Is it necessary?

I see distro patchs as something where distro-specific issues are
patched. Speaking as contributor to Guix, we have the declared goal
to carry as little patches as necessary to reduce the maintenance
burden and rather improve upstream than to keep patches downstream.
(For package neomutt in Guix that's currently 0 extra modifications)

I don't think it's a responsibility of a project to cover all
corner cases. You can state that you are open for distros to approach
you with improvement ideas (what you already do as far as I know).

What about a special "patches" repository where all patches out there
carried by distributions are gathered? You can then compare what needs
to be improved and what's just system specific.
--
PGP and more: https://people.pragmatique.xyz/ng0/