[neomutt-devel] PATCHES considered harmful

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Fri Apr 28 18:17:07 CEST 2017

I look at the output of 'mutt -v' far too often.  There's so much
information there, but so little that I want to read.

I decided that I'd like to abbreviate the list of PATCHES -- if I
reduced each line to a single word (or two), then I could fold the list
onto a couple of lines.

Then I thought some more.  Hang on, they aren't even patches any more.
Perhaps we should just rely on the +INCLUDED or -EXCLUDED list.

But then it struck me.  Why does the PATCHES file exist?
It's very presence *encourages* people to fork mutt!

I think we should remove the file completely.

What do you think?

Rich / FlatCap

PS In the beginning, I scoured the internet for mutt patches and I
   brought them all together.  I'd like a volunteer to seek out new
   patches and invite people into our family.