[neomutt-devel] Easy Coding Jobs -- Mentoring

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Oct 1 21:42:20 CEST 2016

Hi Guillaume,

> > I'm looking for ideas for easy coding jobs.

> When a thread is folded, show a list of abbreviated names in the
> "From" field (paraphrased)

That sounds useful, but a bit complicated for a beginner.

> I used to use sup, and it displays the first name of each sender,
> or if there's an alias for this sender the alias.

After a bit of discussion on IRC we came up with a few possibilities.
Replace the list of names with:
    First names only:                       Richard, Guillaume
    Their alias from your alias file,       flatcap, guiniol
    Abbreviated names (dep. on space)       RichRuss, GuilBrog
                                            RiRu,GuBr
    Person's initials                       RR, GB

> I would like a new placeholder for index_format

In Mutt terms, an "expando".  They're fairly simple to do.

> an option which would also change the behaviour of '%F'.

It might be best not to change the behaviour of '%F', but there aren't
many letter of the alphabet left.

> I don't know if anyone else is interested by this,

Yes, it sounds very useful

> I'm guessing the hard part would be the "replace with alias" part.

That's already done by $reverse_alias so it shouldn't be too hard.

If you (or someone) were to implement the alias part, then we could
leave the abbreviating of names for a beginner.

I'd like the beginner jobs to be as simple as possible.  A bit of
coding, then getting them used to submitting code and docs for review.

Rich