[neomutt-devel] Easy Coding Jobs -- Mentoring

Guillaume Brogi gui-gui at netcourrier.com
Sat Oct 1 20:25:01 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 02:07:42PM +0100, Richard Russon wrote:
> I'm looking for ideas for easy coding jobs.
>
> The jobs should be:
> - Simple to understand
> - Simple to code
> - Self-contained
> - Low priority
>
> The hope is to attract more new developers, so please don't work on them
> unless you haven't contributed code before.
>
> I'm offering to mentor any new developers.
> I'd appreciate any other volunteers to mentor.
>
> # Ideas
>
> - Summary pages - https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/issues/162
> - Use line-drawing chars in the sidebar divider
> - Bugfix: XXXyou at domain.com wrongly identified as from you
> - Change dir autocompletes to dir/ (slash), but then fails
> - Forgotten attachments: Streamline the "disabled" code path
> - Hooks for startup, shutdown
> - Separate folder_format for network mailboxes
>
> What else would be an appropriate task for a new coder?

I have a double idea, but I don't know how appropriate it would be for a
new coder. I don't like the way mutt shows senders, or rather the first
sender in the list. I used to use sup, and it displays the first name of
each sender, or if there's an alias for this sender the alias. It also
doesn't only show the senders of the first mail, but rather the
participants of the whole thread. So, I would like a new placeholder for
index_format which would show the participants in the thread, and,
second part of the feature, replaces their names with their alias if
available. In case there's only mail you sent in the thread, sup
displays the recipients in parenthesis. Here is a screenshot:
http://sup-heliotrope.github.io/images/old_screenshot_1.png
The second part of the feature could be an option which would also
change the behaviour of '%F'.

I don't know if anyone else is interested by this, and I don't know how
hard it would be to implement. I'm guessing the hard part would be the
"replace with alias" part.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

--